Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Persuasion - book

Another Jane Austen book out of the way. I've said before that I find it easier to watch a movie version first, which makes the book much easier to follow, but in this case I hadn't seen this one. If there was a newer version with a Keira Knightley, Hugh Grant or Colin Firth in it, I'd have it, but I guess I'll have to order the older British version. Perhaps the story wouldn't be overshadowed by recognizable actors.

Anyway, about the book, a good Jane Austen story. Just what I had expected and I was not disappointed. Sometimes I have trouble keeping all the characters straight, but this one didn't have so many that it would've been a chore to remember who they all were. Even though it was pretty easy to see where the story was going, I completely enjoyed the getting there. I thought this story seemed more real than some of the others. The heroine had an unlikeable sister, rather than one who just acted inappropriately. Or in addition to, depending how you look at it. And also her father was no gem either. That made her Anne a character who you could really root for. And nothing has shocked me more in a Jane Austen story, than when Louisa fell & was actually really hurt! I know that some of her other characters had gotten ill, but an injury like that, and involving Captain Wentworth as it did, really surprised me!

All in all, I definitely enjoyed this one and will most likely reread it in the future. I'll probably order it on dvd & read it again after I've watched it.

No comments: